Florida Marijuana Laws: The good (not so much), the bad, and the ugly
So, pot has been legalized in two states for recreational use and there are medical marijuana laws on the books in 18 states. But before you pull out that dugout or blunt to celebrate, you may want to consider the fact that Florida IS NOT one of the states mentioned above.
So, what can happen to you if you are caught with cannabis in the Sunshine State? Let me count the ways…
1. If you are convicted—even of a misdemeanor possession charge—your driver’s license can be suspended for up to 2 years;
2. If you are caught with more than 20 grams of marijuana, you can be charged with a felony and face up to 5 years in state prison;
3. If you are convicted of felony possession of marijuana, you will not only face up to 5 years of state prison, you will also lose your right to vote, serve on a jury, and carry a firearm;
4. If you are a legal permanent resident and you are convicted of possessing more than 30 grams of marijuana, you could be deported;
5. If you receive any marijuana conviction (felony or misdemeanor) you will face a five-year ban on adoption or foster parent eligibility, and after the five-year ban you will need special review by an adoption review committee;
6. If you are convicted of even misdemeanor possession, you will be disqualified from receiving both federal and state student financial aid;
7. If you are convicted of a felony, you may face ineligibility for certain permits, state licenses, or certifications without registering in a drug treatment program; and
8. If you receive any drug-related conviction, you will face a 3 year ban on eligibility for public housing.
So, yes, we all know it’s just pot. But you need to keep in mind that it is still illegal in Florida, and there can be some very nasty consequences if you are caught with it.
And if you are caught, well, you know where to find me…
By The Edelstein Firm|February 1st, 2013|Categories: The Drug War|Comments Off on Florida Marijuana Laws: The good (not so much), the bad, and the ugly